I don’t know about you, but I don’t trust these crazy fad diets that float around the internet. I don’t care if Jennifer Aniston (god love her) is eating nothing but watercress and chia seeds, I’m not doing it! The key to good health is a simple balanced diet. It’s not hard, you eat your fruit and vegetables and try really hard to avoid cravings! Personally, I swear by the power of green tea. This got me thinking, what other drinks are great for your health? After a little research, here’s what I found out:
- Water – Water is pretty much the best thing you can put in your body. It’s natural, cleansing and full of the good stuff. It clears your skin, helps your digestive system and keeps your body in good working order. It all got a bit controversial a few years ago when models revealed they were drinking over ten pints of water a day. This is too much, guys! Experts recommend about 2 litres (about four pints) a day, aim for that.
- Green Tea – I was sceptical about the green tea debate a few years back, but it really works. It’s packed full of antioxidants and it’s great for digestive health. More importantly, experts say it can reduce the risk of heart disease and even the ‘big C’. If you’re not a fan of the taste, try mint tea instead; it’s fantastic for helping you fall asleep.
- Low Fat/Coconut Milk - So many people cut out milk and dairy when they’re dieting, but this isn’t always necessary. Some say that a small amount of dairy, especially low fat milk, can actually encourage weight loss. Your body actively starts burning the dairy fat rather than carbs. Milk is also packed full of calcium which is great for bones and body repairs. If you bloat when you consume dairy, coconut milk is a fab alternative!
- Alcohol (well, sort of) - Most experts say that a glass of wine per day is actually good for you. And who are we to argue? Obviously, if you overdo it on the alcohol, your health will suffer, so take care. When you’re planning your next night out, try to seek out low calorie cocktails, or have my favourite; vodka with slimline tonic! You can have a great night and stay healthy.
- Tomato Juice – Tomato juice is full of fibre. That makes it amazing for our digestive health. It cleans out our insides and keeps us healthy. That’s not all though. Doctors say it has all manner of other health benefits. It can reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease and reduce stress. It strengthens bones, cleans skin and keeps hair healthy. Wow. Bloody Mary anyone?
- Smoothies and fruit juice – I know, I know, people have been raving about smoothies for years. They are fantastic, but in moderation. Naturally, they have all the goodness and vitamins of fruit. Unfortunately, they also have all the sugars. Sugar from fruit can still be as bad as sugar from confectionery! Too many smoothies can cause tooth decay and increase weight, so be careful. The same goes for fruit juice. One glass a day is all you need to up your fruit portions and stay healthy, so try to stick to that.
Who needs crazy diets? All you need is your favourite tipple with a coconut milk chaser! Stay healthy!
What I’m Listening to: My Sad Captains – Elbow